Monday, March 29, 2010

That Mighty Change of Heart...


This weekend, Kent and I had the opportunity of staying in Logan on Saturday night. (Many thanks to Steph and Sky for holding down the fort!) We had dinner with Alex and Ashley and Ashley's parents, Tim and Lori (a.k.a. Bob and Helen). It was wonderful to meet Ashley's parents again! They are good people...they've obviously done a great job parenting...Ashley is a terrific young woman. She and Alex make a cute couple.

It was parent's weekend at USU, and so on Sunday we joined Tyson, Alex and Ashley at their student ward. The 'topic of the day' was 'conversion and honesty', two topics that I've heard many times before, but never specifically dealt with together. So, when the word, conversion, is mentioned...what do you think of? As the speakers shared their thoughts on conversion, one mentioned that true conversion means you are completely honest--in your dealings with your fellow men, allowing no hypocrisy; with ourselves, not rationalizing even our small misdeeds; and most importantly with God. We may be able to fool those around us, even for a time fool ourselves, but we can't fool our Heavenly Father.

So, as far as I can see conversion is a consistent process taking place over a lifetime. Recently, I was asked if I would share how my life has changed 'since my conversion' in a leadership meeting coming up in a couple weeks. The talks given yesterday made me think alot about my life, my experiences, the changes I have made and some weaknesses that have yet to be conquered.

As I was listening yesterday, I turned to the Bible Dictionary and looked up 'conversion'--"Conversion denotes changing one's views, in a conscious acceptance of the will of God. If followed by continued faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, repentance, baptism in water for the remission of sins, and the reception of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands, conversion will become complete, and will change a natural man in to a sanctified, born again, purified person--a new creature in Christ Jesus. Complete conversion comes after many trials and much testing. To labor for the conversion of one's self and others is a noble task."

Isn't it funny that the meaning written in the dictionary can make the process of change seem so easy?! ...Any yet, putting ourselves in line with what the Lord wants for us doesn't always seem easy. So, if I have been 'spiritually born of God, and if I have received His image in my countenance, if I have experienced this mighty change of heart?...Can I feel so now? President Ezra Taft Benson said, "That man (or woman) is greatest and most blessed and joyful whose life most closely approaches the pattern of Christ. This has nothing to do with worldly wealth, power or prestige. The only true test of greatness, blessedness, joyfulness is how close a life can come to being like the Master, Jesus Christ. He is the right way, the full truth, the abundant life."

I've been humming the primary song, "I am a Builder". I can be a builder, working each day to build my family...I can be strong and righteous as I build my eternal family...My Heavenly Father sent me here, and He know I can be, strong and righteous as I build my family..." I can do the work, I can build myself, and my testimony, and change until my thoughts and actions are as they should be...I don't have to tear the 'whole building' down, just renovate what is already there...

0 comments: